Posts Tagged ‘Modern Warfare’
Game List to Finish…WOW
So I decided I need to start finishing games since I’m a bit meh about Battlefield 3. Hoping the Karkand pack will bring me back around but just doesn’t seem the same so my list:
- Homefront (Most of the way through)
- Crysis 2 (A ways to go)
- Duke Nukem Forever (I got bored with the old-school boss fights, even though I am old-school)
- Battlefield 3 SP/Co-Op (I may end up doing this on Xbox)
- GTA IV, I got most of the way through but need to finally finish it.
- L.A. Noir (most of the way through)
- Red Dead Redemption (Not sure why I stopped this, loved it, I think Bad Company 2 got in the way)
- Arkham City
- Dead Space (Cyber Monday Pickup)
- Dead Space 2 (another Cyber Monday Pickup)
- Re-do MW and MW2 now that the series is ending.
Quite a list, we’ll see how it goes.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam WTF
This was my most anticipated game of the year and has turned into the worst game of the year. I personally thought this would do circles around Black Ops and it’s fallen flat on it’s face. Even Black Ops multiplayer is 100x better than this game. Apparently the developers were still in the Medal of Honor mode when they developed this add-on. It feels like CoD/MoH meets vehicles… I know MoH has limited vehicles but even Operation Hastings, which was released tonight is a pile of shit, plain and simple. I don’t know what they were thinking other than to compete with Call of Duty and WHY? They’re distinctively different games and people play them for those reasons.
They changed the dynamics where rather than defending a base that you own, you’re attacking a base you own, in most situations. You don’t spawn at the defensive point as you do in BFBC2, you spawn at the base next to it while, generally, the opposing side is humping your objectives by the time you get there. The best one tonight is spawning in Hastings and being killed almost immediately by a helicopter at the spawn base, which again, isn’t the attack point. So basically you can be base rapped and there isn’t a boundary.
I had grown a bit tired of BFBC2, it’s been nearly a year and I’ve put a lot of time in the game so it’s not a surprise to me and this was suppose to be my deliverance but instead of being my most anticipated game of the year, it’s become the biggest disappointment of the year for me.
If you like Call of Duty/Modern Warfare and the retooled Medal of Honor, you should love it, otherwise don’t waste your money and keep playing BFBC2.
Bad Company 2 WTFs
I don’t get the players half the time in this game anymore. It seemed at the beginning that people played as a team, took the shots together and got the job done. Now it seems that everyone wants to preserve their KDR and could give a shit about wins in both Conquest and Rush. Panama Canal is a good example, you have 4 players on your team, you take a tank out and no one ever spawns in the tank, well that is unless you’re about to take a point and then it fills up and immediately empties when the point is taken. Half the freakin’ team is snipers at this point in a lot of games that could care less if we take a point or not as long as they finish with a good score. After the game they seem to pat themselves on the back as if they were the single thing that won a game and if not, it’s complete silence or “my team sucks”.
The game is set up so well for team play, unlike MW2, and yet they play it like MW2, forgetting that there is an objective to this game. that isn’t won by a KDR. I’m only assuming, but thinking, that a lot of MW2 players have migrated as MW2 has grown old and they’re looking for something new to play and completely disregarding that THIS GAME is team and objective based.
Just getting really tired of joining a squad and finding that my 3 teammates are all snipers or like being a camping engineer with a Gustav. I blame EA/DICE only for the freakin’ run and gun that seems to exist with the sniper kit.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
After playing this many more hours, I’m still loving it even with it’s single map and mod. I wish they’d release another map, after all it’s a beta to pre-orders and not a demo. With a little over 14 hours in I’m not getting bored however some of the squad teaming is a different story. I don’t get people who will sit a mile away from the base and snipe while we’re getting hammered or just hang back for some reason rather than attacking. I had a squad doing this through an entire match and unfortunately I had a difficult time getting to the front lines with 4 of them doing, who knows what, back at the entry point.
I don’t mind playing MW2 much like I didn’t mind MW or WaW but for me it doesn’t have the lasting effect that the Battlefield series provides with the map size and a somewhat different experience each round because everyone has different tactics or abilities. MW2 is generally linear in terms of what’s going to happen.
My final note… Anyone not buying this game because they can’t run a free server AND still plays MW2 needs kicked in the groin.
Global Stats: BFBC2
Dedicated Servers: BFBC2
Kicking Hacks: BFBC2
Map Size: BFBC2
Veteran Privileges for Prior Games in the series: BFBC2 (when it works)
Individual Stats: Both
Weapon Unlocks: Both
Game Modes (Number, not quality): MW2
Unlocks: MW2 (Good and bad, it gets crazy trying to figure out what you want to choose)
Modern Warfare 2
So I made this game my gaming life for the moment. I am still far from doing what I did 10, 5 and even 2 years ago in terms of play time but this has become my defacto game of the moment. It beat out L4D2 mostly b/c of the repetition of L4D but I no doubt think it’s still a good game, I’ve just decided to put it behind MW2 on the hierarchy of games. I’ve already equaled my time from MW in MW2 and will probably supplant it as the CoD series goes. My biggest problem is the air crap. I default back to games like Domination (from my UT99 and BFxxx days) as my favorite. What I get tired of is the airstrikes, AKA air crap. Typically you can run a match and easily win while getting the shit kicked out of you by airstrikes. Why? Because of dipshit morons that like to just camp, snipe and then call them in while doing nothing to progress their team. I get especially irritated when these morons are on my team and we have a good team with the exception of 1-2 players that are out for personal scores.
What to do? Well I wish that they’d offer ground games without this crap. Oh wait, you probably could specify this if they had dedicated servers but alas they decided to be cheap assholes and not put any time into the development of the PC version while charging $10 more. Sorry, I forgot for a second that Activision and Bobby Kotick (who cares nothing about gaming) cared about quality over money. Bobby Kotick should be the person at the end of single player that gets the knife to the head, hell he probably doesn’t even know that’s how it ends. I personally would love to see the game move to someone else but unfortunately with the sales of MW2 he’ll remain in control until a fan does toss a fatal knife into his skull. I look forward to (and God I never thought I’d say this) EA taking back the reins of a game with the Battlefield series. Unfortunately I’m not sure how BF1943 is going to play out since we’re still 6 months on the PC without it, so I can only hope that Bad Company 2 compares to BF2 or even BF2142.
Edit: My continued rant on 1/3/2010….
A few more things that pisses me off about the game I love at the moment.
- The lack of control of hacking and kicking. WTH were they thinking? People rape people in this game and you can’t kick them. I had a game tonight with a guy who went 85-5 and I left 1/2 through the game. Sure they did something a while back by kicking 2500 people they said were hacking but we’re at 2 months now and it runs rampant. Granted some are just campers that rack up scores but not 85 kills to 5 in less than 10 minutes?
- When you can’t connect there’s no way to exit. So it attempts to connect and can’t, it sits there forever.
- It throws you into a map that you can’t change during the load screen, so it forces you to accept the map. Exit after it loads and you lose the match. A lot could care less but I’m a stats freak which is what does keep me playing, I love the unlocks by WORKING for them. The Quarry map in particular, who the hell likes that map???
- I already said this but … People who play Domination like it’s TD. Played a map tonight where the guy just sat around knifing people outside our base. Didn’t attempt to take the point, just knifed.
- I already said this too but … Again, air combat in domination from people out for personal score who could care less about points.
- Inability to play maps you want to play.
- The party system… It’s a double edged sword. Unfortunately it stacks players and more than that clans. Even in most dedicated servers this isn’t a problem or at least you can find another server. Not in glorious MW2.
- Join delays. L4D offers that when you’re kicked or exit a map it won’t put you back into that game. Not in MW2, you pop right back into the server with the assholes hacking or the clan stacked server you just left and get another loss.
Most of these are, gasp, easily avoided in dedicated servers… You kick hacks and you chose the map/server you want to play, admins could turn off air attacks and most of this crap is gone.
Game play is great, the hierarchy, bonuses and unlocks are great but the administration of the game sucks worse than any game I’ve played. Even BF2 had some restraint by having a single “commander” that did the air support piece. Granted there were hacks in BF2/2142 but they were a lot less frequent, and you could kick people. I get that things in WaW and MW were out of control in terms of just point hacking but trading that for a gaming experience ISN’T the answer. It’s backwards thinking…rather than specifying rules like EA did with BF2/2142 “official servers” you just say screw everyone and STILL have no control over hacking. It reminds me of the RIAA mentality.
Let’s throw in the extremely engaging and riveting but extremely short single player mode (7-8 hours) and the $10 more for a PC game.